Articles and Handouts
about newborn and postpartum care
The following documents are in printer-friendly portable document format (pdf). You’ll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print these files. If you don’t have this program, get it for free on the Adobe website.
Breastfeeding / Chestfeeding
We are aware that the term “Breastfeeding” is not inclusive. We are also aware that some people find the term “Chestfeeding” to be offensive. The articles below were written before the term Chestfeeding was being used and were written by other organizations and people. I hope you are not offended by the term Chestfeeding. We believe that inclusivity is very important.
- Why Breastfeed?
- New Discoveries in Breastfeeding
- Drug Safety in Lactation
- Milk Banking
- Male Wet Nurse Part 1
- Male Wet Nurse Part 2
- Breastfeeding may be linked to obese women’s post-pregnancy weight
- 12 Things Grown-Ass Men Do For Their Partners Who Are Breastfeeding
- Could a laid-back approach to breastfeeding help your baby latch on?
- Many Moms May Have Been Taught to Breastfeed Incorrectly
- Attaching Your Baby at the Breast – Breastfeeding Series
Resources for Parents of Premature Babies
Grief and Loss Resources
Other Newborn and Postpartum Topics
- Dogs and the New Baby
- 6 Surprising Natural Uses For Breast Milk
- Certain Traits Could Come From Our Mother’s Bacteria, Rather Than Our Genes
- Recommendations Against Mother-Infant Bedsharing Interfere with Breastfeeding
- Cosleeping and Biological Imperatives: Why Human Babies Do Not and Should Not Sleep Alone
- The Anthropology of sharing a bed with your baby
- Safe Cosleeping Guidelines
- Childbirth As An Extreme Sport — And Why Its Injuries Can Take So Long To Heal
- Luludew Diaper Service: Diaper sales and service throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Carrying Grovia — B*E*S*T Doula’s favorite cloth diaper.
- Encouraging Longer Naps
- Postpartum Toolkit: What You Really Need On Hand After Giving Birth
- Raising Tolerant & Inclusive Kids
- This Is Why Your Baby Doesn’t Sleep Through The Night